Sharegate provides a growing suite of tools that can be used to help “power users” either migrate content into SharePoint or between SharePoint instances.
Sharegate supports the following versions of SharePoint:
- SharePoint 2003 (WSS 2.0)
- SharePoint 2007 (WSS 3.0)
- Microsoft Office SharePoint Server (MOSS)
- SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010
- Office 365
This review represents my own personal opinion. The comments here do not represent the views of my employer.
I have undertaken this review at the request of Nothing But SharePoint and aim to provide an unbiased and open view of the product for the benefit of the community. This review represents my personal experience of using the trial software and is not influenced by the supplier of the software and I have received no payment to undertake the review.
This review has been completed using trial version 3.2.2 of the Sharegate tools. The trial version provides 15 days to review the features of the software. The trial version has a built in limit that only allows the copying of items to 5 at a time.
I’ve completed this review using a local installation of SharePoint 2007 and have been moving content to an Office 365 site that is running SharePoint 2013.
I chose the offline installation option and downloaded the 8.4 MB MSI file. The software was installed on a Windows 7 Professional 32-bit host.
Sharegate requires the installation of .Net Framework version 4.0 before it can be installed. With that installed, the installation is straight forward and completed quickly.
The installation is client based. There is an optional web service extension that can be installed to meet some specific criteria. The need to install this will depend on whether you have the following requirements:
- If authors and timestamps must be preserved when migrating content to SharePoint 2007
- If authors (Modified by) must be preserved on draft versions when migrating content to SharePoint 2010
- If approval status must be preserved when migrating to SharePoint 2007 or 2010
- If business data (BDC) must be preserved when migrating to SharePoint 2007
Further information can be found here: http://en.share-gate.com/support/getting-started/installation-web-service-extension
Sharegate has seen a number of updates that have added new features. Sharegate hit version 3.1 in Sept and the most recent update to 3.2 was released 23rd Oct. 3.2 introduced:
- Document Sets migration
- Site Workflows and Reusable Workflows migration
- Migrate Lists and Libraries with their content at the same time
- Users and Groups migration
- Permission Levels migration
- Performance increased X2
- Remember my copy mode
All functionality of Sharegate is accessible from the Home page:
At the time of preparing this review, the product supports:
- Structure Migration
- Copy site objects
- Content Migration
- Copy file to SharePoint
- Copy SharePoint Content
- Public Folders to SharePoint
- Content Classification
- Bulk Metadata Editor